I really love muffins. They're warm, soft, and filling. Some of my favorite memories consist of waking up to the sweet swell of muffins on a cold winter morning. How comforting! However, most muffins are packed with fat, sugar and white flour- a health fanatics nightmare! My mission, though, is to 'healthify' otherwise unhealthy recipes! I first found a recipe for Oatmeal muffins on SparkPeople Recipes, but I wasn't crazy about them. They were a bit bland and I wanted to put a tasty spin on them. My inspiration for these was the Buckwheat pancakes I posted a while back. If you've never tried buckwheat flour, it may take some getting used to. It has it's own distinct taste, but I find it very tasty. These muffins are very soft, chewy, perfectly 'apple-y', with just enough cinnamon. And super healthy! They're great for breakfast or a snack with a spritz of spray butter or jam. By the way- they're super easy, so make some for now, later....and more for now! Enjoy!
Calories: 112 Fat: .9 Cholesterol: .4 Sodium: 223 mg Carbohydrates: 23 Dietary Fiber: 2.5 Protein: 4
Apple Cinnamon Buckwheat Oatmeal Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
1 cup quick oats (Or old-fashioned if that's all you got)
1 cup skim milk
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1 medium apple
2 egg whites
2 teaspoons milled flax seed
1 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar (spooned, not packed)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Raisins - optional
nuts - optional
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Combine the oats and milk, and set aside. (If using old-fashioned oats, soak for 1 hour)
2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
3. Fill a muffin tin with 12 baking cups, and lightly spray with non-stick spray
4. Sift together the flax, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. (Add the optional ingredients now)
5. Grate the apple, and using a tea towel or cheese cloth, ring out the moisture.
6. Combine the oat mixture, apple sauce, grated apple, and egg whites.
7. Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients, mixing until just combine.
8. Evenly divide the batter between the baking cups
9. Combine the 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon sugar and sprinkle over the top of each muffin.
10. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until lightly brown on top.
11. Remove from oven, cool, and enjoy!