I love the ocean. Actually, that's a lie. I'm terrified of large bodies of water- or moreover, what's in the water. The beach, though, is another story. The warm sand, the salty breeze, the sound of the rolling waves and the palm trees is what I live for. Nothing is better than the beach. However, the one thing that nearly compares? Beachy, tropical food. (Can you say fresh, coconut shrimp? YUM.) So tonight when I was having a strong aversion to the snow outside, I needed a bit of tropical- and FAST! What first came to mind? Coconut, of course! I have to admit, this recipe is a keeper. It's seriously easy to make, quick, and healthy, healthy, healthy! I know there's not a TON of tropical ingredients, so we'll call it...Tropical Style. This recipe is great when your cupboards are a bit bare or when you're in a rush to eat. Enjoy!
Calories: 331 Carbohydrates: 41 Fat: 5 Protein: 29
Coconut Rice with Vegetables and Orange Chicken
1/2 cup Instant brown rice
1/4 cup low-fat coconut milk
3.5 ounce chicken breast
1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
Sections of 1/4 orange
1 medium baby bella mushroom
1.5 ounce snap peas (About a handful)
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1. Season the chicken breast with salt, pepper, garlic and a liberal amount of paprika.
2. Prepare the rice according to box directions, using the water and coconut milk. (If the directions call for more or less liquids, just use equal amount of water and coconut.)
3. While the rice cooks, heat a small skillet over medium heat, and lightly coat with olive oil.
4. Sear the chicken for 2 minutes on each side. Lower the heat and pour the orange juice over the chicken. Cover, and cook thoroughly, about5 minutes or so.
5. Chop the peas and orange sections into 1/2 inch pieces, and dice the mushroom.
6. In a medium skillet over low heat, combine rice, oranges, peas and mushroom pieces.
7. When the chicken is cooked thoroughly, chop into 1/2 to 1 inch pieces, and toss with the rice and vegetables.