Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Whole Wheat and Flax Mini Bagels




You may have noticed that I like carbohydrates. A lot. When people ask my favorite food, they expect to hear squash, steak, chicken. Nope, I answer 'Carbs.' I don't like a certain kind of food. I have a favorite food GROUP. I don't care what it is, as long as it has flour in it, I'll eat it. One of my favorite carb-filled-foods, though, is bagels. Actually, big, white, lightly toasted, cream-cheese covered bagels from Big Apple Bagel. My mouth is watering just thinking of it.

Since I've began my healthy eating habits, though, I've definitely ruled out bagels. I let myself splurge here and there, but bagels are basically big, center less, DELICIOUS, nutritional-lacking pieces of refined flour. Definitely not something that I want to 'spend' 400+ calories on...Especially since I'll feel hungry soon after, anyways. Yesterday, though, I was craving bagels. I easily could have gotten in my jeep, driven to the store, walked to the healthy aisle, and picked up a bag of whole wheat bagels...But that would be too easy!

No, I set out to make my very first homemade bagels. Healthy homemade bagels. I searched the internet for the most basic bagel recipe I could find, a formula, really. I found one and went to work. Making them was the easiest part- you basically just throw everything together and mix away. But the waiting for them to rise, boil, and bake? I was ravenous for a bagel!

Finally, they were done. I sliced into my mini bagel, carefully applied a bit of (healthy) butter, waited for it to melt in, and took a bite. My very hard tedious, and patient waiting paid off. My miniature bagel was warm, chewy, and full of flavor. And the best part? No guilt whatsoever. They're just big enough to hit the spot, and since they've got fiber, they're filling too. And since they're only 88 calories each, you can have two...Or three....

Nutrition: Calories: 88 Fat: .6g Sodium: 223mg Carbs: 18.7 Fiber: 2.9 Protein: 3.3



Whole Wheat and Flax Mini Bagels
Makes 20 mini bagels

1 1/2 cups tepid water (105-110 degree F)
1 packet active dry yeast
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup buckwheat flour
2 tablespoons milled flax
1 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon honey

1. Dissolve the yeast in the tepid water and set aside.
2. In a stand-up mixer bowl, combine flours, flax, salt, sugar and honey.
3. Add the yeast and water.
4. Using a dough hook, combine all on low speed for 2 minutes.
5. Increase the speed to medium low, and knead the dough for about 5 minutes. All the flour should be incorporated. If the dough separates while kneading, stop the mixer, fold the dough together, and turn the mixer back on.
6. Remove the dough from the bowl, form into a ball and place in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with a tea towel, and let rise for 20-30 minutes.
7. Divide the dough into 20 1.5 balls.
8. Poke a hole in the center of each ball, and form into a bagel shape, turning in your hand to round the edges.
9. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
10. Heat a large, shallow pot of water till boiling, and lower to a simmer. Drop 5 bagels in at a time. Cook for 30 seconds, flip the bagels, and cook another 30 seconds.
11. Remove the bagels from the water, and place on a wire cooling rack.
12. Repeat with the rest of the bagels, making sure to keep the water simmering.
13. Let the bagels just dry, and arrange on the parchment paper, an inch apart.
14. Bake for 7 minutes, rotate the pan, and bake another 5 minutes.
15. Remove and cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
16. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment