Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Roasted Acorn Squash Soup


My favorite vegetable is squash, you could say I have an obsession. I've loved it ever since I was little. My mom would bake an Acorn Squash and fill it with butter, brown sugar and maple syrup- delicious to say the least! But since I've started my healthy eating habits, I've rediscovered this fabulous veggie, and created some of my favorite healthy dishes. One being Roasted Acorn Squash Soup. It's easy, healthy, and of course delicious! It took a bit of experimenting to get the flavors right, but I think the spices and herbs all blend very well with the naturally sweet squash.

When it comes to cooking, I've never been a fan of recipes. Formulas maybe, but unlike baking, I think cooking should be more about adding more or less of certain ingredients to the dish to fit taste preferences. So for this recipes, I'm not going to include exact measurements. It's all about how much of each spice or herb you, the cook, would like to add. If you like a bit more spice in your soup, add more black pepper. If you like a deep smokey flavor, add a tad more paprika. Cooking is all about preference, besides, you're the one eating it!

A few things I would like to note: 1 small to medium acorn squash will make about 1 serving of soup. If you would like to make 2 servings, a large squash will easily make two bowls of soup. If you want only one serving and you are using a large squash, the unused half can be stored in a zip top bag in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do. It's definitely one of my quick, favorite go-to meals. Have fun cooking, and of course, enjoy!

Roasted Acorn Squash Soup
Serves 1 person

1 small or medium Acorn squash
1 garlic clove, finely minced
Rosemary
Thyme
Paprika
Black Pepper
Salt
Skim Milk
Water
Olive Oil

Preheat oven to 375. Cut the Acorn Squash in half, and clean out seeds and strings with a spoon. (I find a serrated grapefruit spoon works well.)


Next, lightly coat cut sides of both halves with olive oil. Sprinkle the minced garlic into the center of the squash. Season the squash generously with dried rosemary and thyme. Next, season to taste with paprika, pepper, and salt.
Place squash in a baking pan and bake the squash, uncovered, for 30-50 minutes. To test if the squash is done, poke the sides and bottom of the center with a fork. The squash is done when it is tender thoroughly.
Next, scoop out the flesh of the baked squash, and place in a food processor or blender. Add about 1/4 cup of water, and blend. Add nonfat milk about 1/4 cup at a time, until the desired consistency is reached. For a medium squash, I add 1/4 cup water, and half cup of milk. Taste, and add more spices or herbs if needed and blend. Serve in a warmed bowl with a pinch of rosemary and paprika to garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment