Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Chocolate Coconut Snowballs




Today, my mom asked my boyfriend and I to make cookies for my dad who was having a business meeting at our house. I had just spent two hours baking a coffee cake this morning so I was a bit hesitant-that is until my mom mentioned who would be attending the meeting. The MAYOR of our town! I quickly agreed to bake for the meeting, when would I have another opportunity to share my treats with the Mayor?! So I found a Chocolate Crinkle recipe, and decided to adapt it to make the recipe my own.

Luckily, the cookies came out fabulous! I baked three cookie sheets worth, and when the meeting was over, only 4 cookies were left! The best part? After the Mayor left, he called just a few minutes later. He had set aside a few cookies to bring home, and forgot them when he left. He drove back to our house to pick them up! I'm so excited that I had a chance to share my passion for desserts with people who enjoyed them so much!

Here's the recipe, let me know how you like them, enjoy!




Chocolate Coconut Snowballs

2- 1 oz melted unsweetened chocolate (or 6 Tablespoons cocoa powder & 3 Tablespoons melted butter, combined)

1/2 cup Crisco

1 2/3 cup sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla extracr

2 eggs

2 cups flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup shredded, sweetened coconut + coconut to roll coat cookies

1/3 cup milk, minus 1 tablespoon

1 tablespoon coconut milk

Confectioner's sugar



Cream Crisco, sugar and vanilla. Beat in eggs and chocolate. In a seperate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Stir the 1/2 cup coconut into the flour. Mix milk and coconut milk together. Add flour mix alternately with milk to chocolate mix. Preheat oven to 350. Refrigerate cookie dough for 15-20 minutes. Place enough confectioner's sugar and shredded coconut in seperate bowls to cover each cookie. Using a small cookie dough scoop, roll the cookie dough into balls. Roll each ball in coconut, and then in confectioner's sugar. Drop each cookie on a greased cookie sheet, and lightly press with a fork. Bake for 15 minutes. Makes about 36 cookies.

3 comments:

  1. Keaton, you really scored on this one. Very tasty. Time consuming, but well worth it. On my last batch, I combined the coconut with the powdered sugar: easier. Sadly, your Uncle Branch can't eat them since he's allergic to gluten. Good luck with your future recipes! Aunt Joelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you liked it! Thanks for trying them! Maybe I can come up with some gluten-free recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. eating these as we speak! favorite!

    ReplyDelete