Sunday, February 7, 2010

Apple Cinnamon Buckwheat Pancakes

My favorite breakfast food is pancakes. Before I started being health conscious, I would eat pancakes night and day. Walker Brothers in Lake Zurich was my go to spot: Their chocolate chip pancakes are to die for, and the bacon pancakes satisfied my salty and sweet cravings all in one. I remember a particular time I was at the ER for my back, and all I wanted was pancakes. I was released around 9PM and my mom drove me straight to Walker Brothers so I could have my pancakes before they closed. I had a plate of bacon AND a plate of chocolate chip pancakes. Those pancakes made me feel better than any medicine I've ever been given at the hospital!

This morning, my pancake craving came back- and with a vengeance! However, I didn't want to ruin my healthy eating streak, so I set out to make a healthy pancake recipe. I flipped through my mom's big, red Better Homes and Garden cookbook, looking for a semi-healthy recipe I could use. All of the recipes contained outrageous amounts of fat, sugar, and carbs! Finally, I decided on the basic pancake recipe, and completely revamped it. Instead of white flour, I used buckwheat. I cut the oil in half, and substituted the rest with apple sauce. I added a bit of ground flax seed for some extra fiber, and a bit of apple for some crunch!

I was ecstatic as to how well the pancakes turned out! I was expecting an aftertaste from the buckwheat flour, but instead I was pleasantly surprised with a subtle nutty flavor! There was just enough cinnamon and it married wonderfully with the apples. Unlike fluffy 'white' pancakes, these hotcakes are a bit dense, only because they're jam-packed with nutritious ingredients. But they taste so great, you would never know that their healthy!

Since my first three recipes can make you gain 10 pounds by just looking at them, I feel it necessary to share a heart-attack free recipe. These pancakes are a mere 76 calories EACH, with two grams of protein and only 13 grams of carbs! These pancakes make for a heart, guilt-free breakfast, that will fill you up until lunch! Some of the measurements are a bit hard to measure, as they were cut in half from the original Better Homes and Garden recipe. The half tablespoons and half beaten egg can easily be eyeballed, though. Enjoy!


Apple Cinnamon Buckwheat Pancakes
Makes 6 pancakes

1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons Buckwheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground flax
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 beaten egg
1/2 cup milk (I used skim)
1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 tablespoon apple sauce ( I used all natural, sugar-free)
1/2 apple, grated

In a mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk egg, milk, oil, and apple sauce until combined. Stir in the grated apple. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and whisk until just combined. Heat a griddle over medium-low heat, and lightly grease with shortening or vegetable oil. Using a 1/4 measuring cup, drop the batter on to the griddle, leaving 1-2 inches between each pancake. Cook each side for 2-3 minutes, until lightly browned. The pancakes are ready to flip when the edges have slightly pulled away from the pan, and the batter on top starts to release bubbles. While cooking the pancakes, place cooked pancakes on a plate and cover. This keeps them warm, and softens the crispy sides. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I tried these pancakes - they were delicious! You were right in that there was no bitterness from the buckwheat. 2 Silver dollar sized 'cakes kept me satisfied until lunch! Thanks for sharing a great recipe!!

    ReplyDelete