The other day I was laid up at home, sicker than a dog. I had the strongest craving for banana bread, and I managed to drag myself off the couch to make some. I Googled healthy banana bread recipes, and was unimpressed with what I found. Most recipes were ridiculously high in calories, carbs or fats...And were probably titled 'Healthy,' only because the recipe contained fruit. Finally I found a basic banana bread recipe, and decided to give it a shot...With my own added and tweaked ingredients, of course. I swapped white flour with wheat flour, packaged apple sauce with homemade apple sauce, Splenda for sugar, and added cinnamon, raisins, flax and honey.
This banana bread is so incredibly moist, you would swear there was oil added. The banana bread doesn't have any 'healthy' after taste, and has just the perfect amount of sweetness. It is so low in calories for such a large piece, it can be eaten at any meal of the day...Including snack! You'll love this recipe, I guarantee it.
Whole Wheat Cinnamon and Raisin Banana Bread
Makes 12 servings
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup Splenda
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bakind soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tablespoon milled flax seed
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 oz raisins (two miniature boxes), chopped
dash apple pie spice
1 medium apple (or in a pinch 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce)
3/4 cup skim milk
1 1/2 cup mashed banana
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp honey
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Peel and core the apple. Chop into 1/2 inch pieces. Cook in a saucepan over medium heat until very soft, adding a tablespoon of water if needed. Pulse in a food processor until the apple has reached a thick appleasuce consistency. Set aside.
3. Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
4. Combine all wet ingredients in separate bowl.
5. Using a spatula, stir together wet and dry ingredients until just combined. Do not over mix.
6. Pour into a large, lightly greased loaf pan.
7. Cook for 55-65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the banana bread comes out clean.
Fat: 1.2 g
Cholesterol: 18 mg
Sodium: 284 mg
Carbohydrates: 36 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.6 g