Monday, May 10, 2010

Rosemary Chicken and Rice Soup


I have a pretty sensitive stomach, this week especially. Today I knew that I wouldn't be able to eat a heavy meal, but I was in the mood for something hearty. So what came to mind? Chicken soup of course. Maybe it is a placebo effect, but chicken soup cures all ailments! When I looked in my pantry, though, all I found was sodium-packed, condensed chicken noodle soup...I don't think I need to mention names.

So I set out to make a homemade chicken soup, that was healthy, hearty, yet still easy on my stomach. I was pleasantly surprised as to how delicious this soup turned out to be! It was super quick to make (15 minutes from start to finish!), flavorful and filled me up without upsetting my stomach.

This soup is delicious for when you're feeling under the weather as well as when you're feeling fine!

Rosemary Chicken and Rice Soup
Serves One
1/2 cup brown instant rice
1 & 1/2 cups + about 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 small chicken breast (about 2.5 ounces)
8 baby carrots
4 slices baby bella mushrooms (or 1 whole mushroom)
Rosemary
Thyme
Salt
Pepper
olive oil

1. Prepare the instant rice on the stove, following the package directions, substituting water with chicken broth. Add about 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary. When the rice is prepared, add about 1 & 1/2 cups chicken broth. Simmer over low heat.

2. Season the chicken breast lightly with salt, pepper, thyme and rosemary. Cook in a small skillet over medium heat, about 3-4 minutes per side, or until thoroughly cooked. Set chicken aside and return pan to heat. Spray lightly with olive oil.

3. Chop the baby carrots into small rounds and toss in the hot pan for about 2 minutes, or until tender. Add to the rice and chicken broth.

4. Chop the chicken breast into small pieces and add to the pot of rice and broth.

5. Finally, chop the mushrooms into small pieces and add to the pot.

6. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and rosemary. Simmer for 3-4 minutes.

7. Enjoy!
Nutrition: Calories: 275 Carbs: 40g Fat: 2g Protein: 24g


2 comments:

  1. Keaton - you are amazing! I am pathetic cook, but your posts inspire me :)

    I copied a couple of recipes that hopefully I will try to do here soon. Your deserts look like they are out of a magazine! Good work, cous!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! You're too sweet :)

    ReplyDelete